FORTY YEARS OF ORTHODONTICS, PRACTICE DOES MAKE PERFECT
Dr. Bednar graduated from the New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry where he was awarded his Doctor of Dental Medicine degree as class valedictorian. Dr. Bednar received his Certificate in Advanced Graduate Studies in Orthodontics from Boston University Goldman School of Dental Medicine where he is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthodontics. Dr. Bednar maintains private practice as a specialist in Orthodontics. Recently highlighted in Dear Doctor Magazine, The Magic of Orthodontics: The Original Smile Makeover Dr. Bednar demonstrates the importance of technique in both esthetic and functional orthodontic therapy.
- Graduated from New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry with DMD degree in 1973
- Graduated from Boston University School of Graduate Dentistry in 1975 with Certificate in Advanced Graduate Studies in Orthodontics
- Forty years in the private practice of Orthodontics
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Orthodontics at Boston University School Goldman of Graduate Dentistry
- Presents technical courses and lectures on Bidimensional Orthodontics in United States, Europe, India
- Co-author of numerous articles in the American Journal of Orthodontics, The Journal of Clinical Orthodontics, and several European journals
- Co-author of chapters in four orthodontic and periodontal textbooks
- Member of the American Dental Association, the American Association of Orthodontics, Massachusetts Dental Society, and New Hampshire Dental Society
Educational Honors and Awards
New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry:
- Graduation Rank: First. Graduating as Valedictorian
- American Academy of Oral Medicine Award
- American Association of Orthodontists Award for Exceptional Interest in the Development of the Oral-Facial Complex
- American College of Dentists Outstanding Student Award
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology Award
- Alpha Omega Fraternity Award ( National Award for Highest Scholastic Standing)
- Sigma Epsilon Delta Fraternity Award for Clinical Operative Dentistry
- Periodontics Study Club Award for Highest Scholastic and Clinical Average in Periodontics
- Elected member to the Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Honor Society
- Gianelly AA, Bednar JR, Dietz VS. A bidimensional edgewise technique. J Clin Orthodont 19: 418-421, 1985.
- Gianelly AA, Smith JB, Bednar JR, Dietz VS. Asymmetric space closure. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthoped 90: 335-341, 1986.
- Gianelly AA, Bednar JR, Dietz VS. Japanese Niti coils used for molar distal movement. AM J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 99:564-566, 1991
- Locatelli R, Bednar JR, Dietz VS, Gianelly AA, Molar distal movement with Japanese NiTi wire. J Clin Orthodont 26: 277-279, 1992
- Bednar JR, Wise RJ. The Management of Unerupted Maxillary Cuspids, Orthodontic Dialogue. Vol. 4, No. 2, Spring, 1992
- Bednar JR, Wise RJ. The Role of the Orthodontist in the Management of Dental trauma, Orthodontic Dialogue. Vol. 7, No.2, Spring, 1995
- Bednar JR, Gianelly AA, Cociani S, Maino G. La tecnica bidimensional: Una tecnica biomecanica simplificada y practica. Revista Espanol De Ortodoncia 25: 3-11, 1995
- Bednar JR, Wise RJ. Etiology and Treatment of Maxillary Anterior Spacing. Orthodontic Dialog. Vol. 10, No. 1 Spring, 1998
- Bednar JR, Wise RJ. The Role of the Orthodontist on the Maxillary Anterior Implant Team. Orthodontic Dialogue. Fall, 1998.
- Bednar JR, Wise RJ. Orthodontic Forced Eruption in Multidisciplinary Treatment. Orthodontic Dialog, Fall, 2000.Gianelly AA, Bednar JR, Dietz VS. A bidimensional edgewise technique. J Clin Orthod. 1985;19(6):418-21.
- Gianelly AA. Chapter 3. Nonextraction treatment. In: Gianelly AA, Bednar JR, Cociani S, Giancotti F, Maino G, Richter O. Bidimensional technique: theory and practice. New York: GAC International; 2000. p. 59-139.
- Gianelly AA, Bednar JR, Dietz VS, Koglin J. Chapter 14. An approach to non extraction treatment of Class II malocclusions. In: Nanda R. Biomechanics in clinical orthodontics. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1997. p. 257-64.
- Gianelly AA, Bednar JR, Dietz VS. Japanese NiTi coils used to move molars distally. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 1991;99:546-66.
- Locatelli R, Bednar JR, Dietz VS, Gianelly AA. Molar distalization with superelastic NiTi wire. J Clinical Orthod. 1992;26(5):277-9.
- Bednar JR, Marquez MG, y Bednar KA. Razonamiento de la tecnica ortodoncica bidimensional y de la terapia sin extraccion. Rev Esp Ortod 42, 2012.
- Bednar JR and Bednar KA. Expanded perspectives on Invisalign from a father and daughter. North Shore District Dental Society April 2013 Newsletter.
- Gianelly AA, Bednar JR, Dietz VS, Koglin J. An Approach to Nonextraction Treatment of Class II Malocclusions. In Nanda R. ed Biomechanics in Clinical Orthodontics. WB Saunders, 1997, pp. 257-264.
- Bednar JR, Wise RJ. Interaction of Periodontal and Orthodontic Treatment. Chapter 9. In Nevins M, Mellonig J, eds. Periodontal Therapy: Clinical Approaches and Evidence of Success. Quintessence Publishing Co. 1998
- Bednar JR, Wise RJ. A Practical Clinical Approach to the Treatment and Management of patients Experiencing Root Resorption During and After Orthodontic Therapy. In Davidovitch Z, ed. Currently being published.
- Gianelly AA, Bednar JR, et al. Biodimensional Technique Theory and Practice. GAC International INC. 2000.
DR. KATY BEDNAR
A Magna Cum Laude graduate of Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BUGSDM), Dr. Bednar has recently completed her Orthodontic training at her alma mater, specializing in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics. A board eligible orthodontist, her orthodontic training included both conventional and Invisalign certifications. Her master's thesis research "Palatal and Alveolar Tissue Deficiency in Infants with Complete Unilateral Cleft Lip and Palate" has been submitted for publication in The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. Born and raised in Marblehead, Ma, Dr. Bednar graduated from Marblehead High School and Providence College. Post graduation she set sail for more tropical waters working on charter yachts in the Caribbean. Sailing, snorkeling and scuba diving became her daily routine. And as they say, "the rest is history." Over her dental career she has worked extensively with patients with special needs as well as those in under served communities. Her international work in Guatemala with Dentistry For All and national work with Special Olympics Special Smiles has taught her invaluable lessons in the world of oral health. With numerous awards including BUGSDM "Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in Patient and Practice Management," BUGSDM "Richard Forcucci Alumni Award," BUGSDM"Contribution to Global Health through International Volunteer Service Award," Senator Thomas M. McGee, Massachusetts Senator "Recognition of Outstanding Efforts" and speaking engagements such as Special Olympics USA National Games, Omaha, NE "Health Symposium Improving Health for People with Intellectual Disability—Policy, Practice and Possibility, University of Nebraska" it's no wonder that Dr. Katy Bednar has a tremendous gift for working with patients from a myriad of backgrounds.